a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best War Film

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Fury was an entertaining film for sure but once the tank was immobilized at the cross roads, it became hokey real fast.

The saving grace was the 'Bovington Tiger'.

bronsond

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Casualties of War (1989) Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn

A LRP goes on patrol and then the NCO (sean penn) loses his shit and kidnaps a vietnamese girl. The LRP team takes turns raping her except Michael J. Fox's character a new PFC who refuses to rape a civilian. The story moves on to the discussion of ethics in the field, and legal capacities of taking ownership of troop actions on foreign soil. Good film.

Grupo_Ocho

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Fury was an entertaining film for sure but once the tank was immobilized at the cross roads, it became hokey real fast.

The saving grace was the 'Bovington Tiger'.

The real Fury's MoH citation :)
Rank and organization: Master Sergeant (then Sergeant First Class) U.S. Army, Company A, 72nd Tank Battalion
Place and date: Vicinity of Agok, Korea, August 31, and September 1, 1950
Entered service at: Dwight, Nebr. Born: November 23, 1919, Dwight, Nebraska
G.O. No.: 38, June 4, 1951
Citation:
M/Sgt. Kouma, a tank commander in Company A, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. His unit was engaged in supporting infantry elements on the Naktong River front. Near midnight on August 31, a hostile force estimated at 500 crossed the river and launched a fierce attack against the infantry positions, inflicting heavy casualties. A withdrawal was ordered and his armored unit was given the mission of covering the movement until a secondary position could be established. The enemy assault overran 2 tanks, destroyed 1 and forced another to withdraw. Suddenly M/Sgt. Kouma discovered that his tank was the only obstacle in the path of the hostile onslaught. Holding his ground, he gave fire orders to his crew and remained in position throughout the night, fighting off repeated enemy attacks. During 1 fierce assault, the enemy surrounded his tank and he leaped from the armored turret, exposing himself to a hail of hostile fire, manned the .50 caliber machine gun mounted on the rear deck, and delivered pointblank fire into the fanatical foe. His machine gun emptied, he fired his pistol and threw grenades to keep the enemy from his tank. After more than 9 hours of constant combat and close-in fighting, he withdrew his vehicle to friendly lines. During the withdrawal through 8 miles of hostile territory, M/Sgt. Kouma continued to inflict casualties upon the enemy and exhausted his ammunition in destroying 3 hostile machine gun positions. During this action, M/Sgt. Kouma killed an estimated 250 enemy soldiers. His magnificent stand allowed the infantry sufficient time to reestablish defensive positions. Rejoining his company, although suffering intensely from his wounds, he attempted to resupply his tank and return to the battle area. While being evacuated for medical treatment, his courage was again displayed when he requested to return to the front. M/Sgt. Kouma's superb leadership, heroism, and intense devotion to duty reflect the highest credit on himself and uphold the esteemed traditions of the U.S. Army.[13]"

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
All Quite on The Western Front. (ORGINAL)

One of the all time war classics Martin. I still have a soft spot for Cross of Iron. Steiner and his men. What a group! Remember watching it when I was with the 13th as a young Caporal with my own équipe. There was a part where the colonel said, "And if that doesn't work put the Caporaux in charge"! We all went wild!! I turned around and looked at at all the Sous-Officers and Officers with their red faces! Ha ha!

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
(...) put the Caporaux in charge! We all went wild!! I turned around and looked at at all the Sous-Officers and Officers with their red faces! Ha ha!

When the Caporaux Commandement were still, the guys running part of the show, the other were and always will be the Caporaux-chefs. Even Napoleon Bonaparte recognized this fact.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
When the Caporaux Commandement were still, the guys running part of the show, the other were and always will be the Caporaux-chefs. Even Napoleon Bonaparte recognized this fact.

I was promoted Caporal-chef spring of 83 in the REP proudest moment of my life! From then on life was a lot better!

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
I was promoted Caporal-chef spring of 83 in the REP proudest moment of my life! From then on life was a lot better!

Spring 83, well Mark, see, me arriving and making it in, brought you luck. Myself, i were promoted Caporal-chef in spring 91, came back from R&R (after the first Gulf war), were told i got promoted, handed a few medals and told to get a haircut and that i were detached to the 3 Coy/2REI and shipping over for a 4 months stint, which included rescue people in Zaïre, mostly Kinshasa.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
One of the all time war classics Martin. I still have a soft spot for Cross of Iron. Steiner and his men. What a group! Remember watching it when I was with the 13th as a young Caporal with my own équipe. There was a part where the colonel said, "And if that doesn't work put the Caporaux in charge"! We all went wild!! I turned around and looked at at all the Sous-Officers and Officers with their red faces! Ha ha!

Roger that great film

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Spring 83, well Mark, see, me arriving and making it in, brought you luck. Myself, i were promoted Caporal-chef in spring 91, came back from R&R (after the first Gulf war), were told i got promoted, handed a few medals and told to get a haircut and that i were detached to the 3 Coy/2REI and shipping over for a 4 months stint, which included rescue people in Zaïre, mostly Kinshasa.

Checked back o my records d. P. Turns out 1st October 82 I made c/chef it was spring 83 I was marked for sargents course! It was a proud moment. But I turned it down. I had nothing else to prove. 5 yrs Brit army and 6 yrs with the legion were enough! I wanted to get back to civvy street and see if I could make it back. I think you know what I mean!

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered

Bloody Centurions had to wait till summer 92 till I got promoted. till then just a lowly optio,
guy in front of me where all career men.

Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Bloody Centurions had to wait till summer 90 till I got promoted. till then just a lowly optio,
guy in front of me where all career men.

Luck of the draw Martin. Being a caporal sucked! You got shit from all quarters! C/chef on the other hand you could relax a bit and nobody fecked with you! Better then being a Sargent far as I was concerned.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Luck of the draw Martin. Being a caporal sucked! You got shit from all quarters! C/chef on the other hand you could relax a bit and nobody fecked with you! Better then being a Sargent far as I was concerned.
Senior Brigadier in the Escardon had its perks. But it still sucked, especially Brigadier de Jour ect ect ect.

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Lot of good movies, one of the latest I have watched is Special Forces, it's about French soldiers who are sent to rescue a girl that was kidnapped. Just watch it.

bronsond

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The Great Raid. 2005.

"In early 1945, as World War II is nearing its end, Gen. Douglas MacArthur selects Lt. Col. Henry Mucci (Benjamin Bratt) to command a bold rescue mission in the Philippines. There, in the city of Cabanauan, more than 500 American soldiers are being held captive in a brutal prisoner-of-war camp. With the assistance of Capt. Prince (James Franco), Mucci will lead the valiant soldiers of the 6th Ranger Battalion in one of the boldest POW rescues in American history."

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Kirk Douglas film for the life of me cant remember the name but three soldiers in A French Battalion are accused of cowardice in the face of the enemy. Paths of Glory 1915.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Kirk Douglas film for the life of me cant remember the name but three soldiers in A French Battalion are accused of cowardice in the face of the enemy. Paths of Glory 1915.

'Paths Of Glory' was one of the best both for Douglas and director Stanley Kubeck. It's a sad but very well told story of the Poilu during the First World War.

In a failed and pointless attack so typical of the early years of the Great War, command orders ten men from each company in the regiment to be tried for cowardice in the face of the enemy. This is to be an example for all of the other soldiers in the regiment for the regiment's failure. Eventually 1 man is selected from each of three companies and each of these men have their own very moving story none of which involve personal cowardice.

Although banned for several years in France as well as Switzerland, it has since been released. It rates up there in the top 10 best war films.

It's a must see for sure, thanks Martin.

The movie was filmed Germany near Munich using German Polizei for the extras.

Vanhamel

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
I liked "The pianist" and "The boy in striped pyama's" Not really "war" movies, but movies about the insanity of te war and seen thru te eyes of citizens. No action, but intens feelings and experiance !

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
A personal favourite is the Oz classic 'Breaker Morant'. It's been a few years but it's on the Christmas List.