a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bernhard Trautmann

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
What a life !

A Luftwaffe para with an Iron Cross, a goaly for Man City and a footballer of the year 1956.

and a lot more....... (awarded with Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Trautmann

that's a proper biography...

RMD

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
What a life !

A Luftwaffe para with an Iron Cross, a goaly for Man City and a footballer of the year 1956.

and a lot more....... (awarded with Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Trautmann

that's a proper biography...

Weren't the FJ considered to be the best of the German Army? A tough bunch. Had they much of an influence on the FFL after the war?

Either way this Trautmann seems a legend. Playing on with a broken neck. What on earth happened to soccer?

Nemesis

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

Lieutenant Colonel John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming "Jack" Churchill, DSO & Bar, MC & Bar (16 September 1906 – 8 March 1996), nicknamed Fighting Jack Churchill and Mad Jack, was a British soldier who fought throughout the Second World War armed with a longbow, and a Scottish sword (a basket-hilted claymore called by others a claybeg).[1] He is known for the motto "any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed."

Go read the WW2 section. Worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Great story of a young man that was not only respected but honored by his enemy. After he was killed the oldest German CO aged around 50 called for local population and a bilingual boy to translate to public that this man fought so brave that if every German fought like him he would conquer the whole world said this is how a soldier should defend his fatherland. He was only 20 when he was killed http://survincity.com/2012/01/sirotinin-he-was-given-the-honor-of-enemies/

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Weren't the FJ considered to be the best of the German Army? A tough bunch. Had they much of an influence on the FFL after the war?

Either way this Trautmann seems a legend. Playing on with a broken neck. What on earth happened to soccer?

RMD:

The German Fallschirmjaeger had a highly respected combat reputation.

As for playing with a broken neck, the 10th commandment of German paratroopers was: be nimble as a greyhound, tough as leather, hard as Krupp steel.

The last competitive soccer game I played, I put a fellow fullback on life support for three weeks. We both went up for a head ball in our 6 during the last few minutes of the brigade championship, had a head to head collision, he was carried off and flown to the hospital, I finished the game and drank beer from the championship cup. I saw him in the messhall about a month later and asked him where he was for the last month. He answered with a stutter and said his head still hurt, I told him I was sorry he was still in pain to which he replied 'it's not that bad, the doc says I'm lucky to be alive'. He wasn't a paratrooper.

Steve

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
I believe he was reffering to "TV" football ( champions league, europa league, CR7 and D. Beckham modeling crap, 100 mil euros for a player crap etc)

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I believe he was reffering to "TV" football ( champions league, europa league, CR7 and D. Beckham modeling crap, 100 mil euros for a player crap etc)

Sadly many pro sports have gone that way, business first.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
300k spent on a player thats way passed it, and ugly to boot need i say more.

Old Adj

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
300k spent on a player thats way passed it, and ugly to boot need i say more.

You're way off line there, Martin. There are "Wendyball" players who get 350k per week wages Transfers are up in the Millions. They spend 300k on a night on the lash!

RMD

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
You're way off line there, Martin. There are "Wendyball" players who get 350k per week wages Transfers are up in the Millions. They spend 300k on a night on the lash!

Who? Who get that amount of cash?

Old Adj

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Who? Who get that amount of cash?

All the top players Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi, Van Persie, Ibrahimovic. There are even players who are not really considered top player earning fantastic wages in the poor French premiere league. The recent people stories about Patrice Evra and Olivier Giroud talk about spending £25 to £30000 on a night out on the lash.

Theere were loads of stories about it in the press over here when the French gouvernement wanted to bring in a tax for all players earning over 1 million euros per year. At Paris alone there were 10 players involved and if I remembers correctly they were about 10/12 clubs involved with players earning over the 1,000,000 € limit, and this in the poor French premier Legue. I wonder what the total would be for the richer leagues like England, Germany, Spain, Italy?

Last edited:

RMD

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
All the top players Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi, Van Persie, Ibrahimovic. There are even players who are not really considered top player earning fantastic wages in the poor French premiere league. The recent people stories about Patrice Evra and Olivier Giroud talk about spending £25 to £30000 on a night out on the lash.

Theere were loads of stories about it in the press over here when the French gouvernement wanted to bring in a tax for all players earning over 1 million euros per year. At Paris alone there were 10 players involved and if I remembers correctly they were about 10/12 clubs involved with players earning over the 1,000,000 € limit, and this in the poor French premier Legue. I wonder what the total would be for the richer leagues like England, Germany, Spain, Italy?

We have here in Australia what's known as a salary cap. This is fair. Money & sport, & money in sport is something I have never understood. When I was a kid & I looked up at my favorite footy team a lot of the professional footy players were your everyday battlers. Tradies who got up of a morning & went to work & then to the club & then home. That's how I saw sport because I could relate to it. How the **** are kids of today supposed to relate to their favorite clubs & figures in general. Part of the why of how the world's falling to pieces. So sad.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

Last edited:

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
We have here in Australia what's known as a salary cap. This is fair. Money & sport, & money in sport is something I have never understood. When I was a kid & I looked up at my favorite footy team a lot of the professional footy players were your everyday battlers. Tradies who got up of a morning & went to work & then to the club & then home. That's how I saw sport because I could relate to it. How the **** are kids of today supposed to relate to their favorite clubs & figures in general. Part of the why of how the world's falling to pieces. So sad.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

In North America the National Hockey League has a salary cap, one of the highest paid hockey players in the world Sydney Crosby is making $12 million per year. The cap per team is close to $70 million. Ticket prices are almost to the point of being out of reach for the average Joe. Crosby is a fantastic hockey player, nobody can deny that but $12 per year to play (verb to play as opposed to work) hockey or any sport for that matter is a little over the top.

Mind you, Kobe Bryant of the National Basketball Association was paid an annual salary of $27.9 million with another $34 million in endorsements.

Great players but the term hero is too often misused.

Steve

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Two days ago, a 17 years old player from Zagreb signed for Barcelona.Not shure how much will he be paid, but Dinamo Zagreb was paid 10mil euros for the transfer. He is 17, didn't even play for Dinamo constanly - had no time to become vital for the team. At this moment he is a risk, there are no guarantees that he will be viable, a lot of players don't make it. Still he costed 10.000.000,00 E.

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Two days ago, a 17 years old player from Zagreb signed for Barcelona.Not shure how much will he be paid, but Dinamo Zagreb was paid 10mil euros for the transfer. He is 17, didn't even play for Dinamo constanly - had no time to become vital for the team. At this moment he is a risk, there are no guarantees that he will be viable, a lot of players don't make it. Still he costed 10.000.000,00 E.

View attachment 4248
Mamics reaction to the deal.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Saša enjoy, all the curses and "poetry" in one place: http://www.zdravko-mamic.com/
My favourite (adressing a journalist: ... You are : filthy and dirty, you smell, u r uneducated, and a liar!!!

(Zdravko Mamić is the "owner" of the kid I was talking about, among others. Very colourfull guy to say the least, commuticates
in a very "eloquent" way - mothers, sisters,etc.)