Thread: Recent Legion deployments

Post Thanks / Like

Recent Legion deployments

I am interested to know what kind of engagements the Legion has been involved in recently, say since 2000 - particularly to hear from someone who knows.

There are the obvious - I assume that some Legion forces must have been deployed to Afghanistan, and to the more recent conflicts in West Africa. But even given that, what kind of role do they play there? Are there other, smaller conflicts they are involved in, that never make the news?

It seems that recently France's role in conflict, and by extension that of the Legion, is limited to peace-keeping operations. So have Legionaires recently seen open combat?

Thanks
    redfox

Post Thanks / Like
    Country
    New Zealand
    Live by Chance. Love by Choice. Kill by Profession.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Thanks

Thanks for the reply - it's an interesting graph. But it still doesn't get to the point. Of these 33 000 troops, with over twenty deployments, most seem to be permanently based, or garrisoned overseas.

Where is the Legion actually fighting, or where have they fought in the last five years? And when was it peacekeeping, and when was the last time they've actually fired a shot in anger.

And do they, especially the 2e REP, get involved in things that you won't see on that map?

Post Thanks / Like
    Country
    New Zealand
    Unless your an historian, I wouldn't think such information is relevant to a wannabe.

If you are trying to use the French Legion's record of combat as a deciding factor on whether or not you join, I would suggest you re-think your reasons for joining.

The last deployment of the REP I heard of was in Bosnia, or somewhere close to that area. The French Defense website has that kind of information, that is the source of the above Map.

Post Thanks / Like
    Country
    Canada
    Redfox,
    The global battlefield is ever changing. In the Legion you could find yourself in any shithole France has interests in. Tons of guys in the FFL have seen action over in Africa. Still deployed over there today. In the Legion you will be the most expendable soldiers available to French politicians. So therefore the chance of you seeing combat in your time is pretty high, but don't join just to see as much combat as you can.

Good site I came across a while back outline the past 20 or so years of operations..

"Recent operations have included involvement in Kosovo, Bosnia, Cambodia, Rwanda, Somalia, and Lebanon in the early 1980's."

Might be advisable to take a jaunt over there and absorb as much of the information as you can, heres the link..

http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/cha...m#peacekeeping
    Last edited by blahblahblah; 25th December 2004 at 08:23.

Top Member Major Forum Poster Eagle eye's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Country
    Macau
    The 2eREI was involved at least in armed skirmishes with rebels in the Ivory Coast sometime in 2002-2003. I do not have access to any recent accounts: the French, like most Western democracies, hesitate to use armed force, notwithstanding the recent shooting into an Ivorian crowd, for there is a fine line between using a scalpel and a sledgehammer in a civilian environment: dissuasion (being there and being seen) is a key aspect of French troop deployment including the FFL rather than outright intervention. Tchad, Kosovo among other theaters of operations.
    Last edited by Eagle eye; 25th December 2004 at 09:38.
    Honi soit qui mal y pense et de la Légion étrangère.
    Damn those that think badly of it and the French Foreign Legion.

Top Member Main Forum Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

"that never make the news"

Bonjour and Merry Christmas Red Fox,

In one sense, you answered your own question. If something didn't make the news it is for the usual reason of =raison d'etat=; a diplomatic reason.

I'd like to respond to "get involved in things that you won't see on a map".

My example was learned elsewhere. Had not been in the Legion. Probably not qualified to get accepted in my time. The physical tests would be routine; the mental tests; possibly to probably would have been passed. My medical restrictions preclude the FFL diet involving crêpes Suzette, ananas au kirsch, assiette de friandises, etc.

Here is one example not showing up on the map. I am speculating based on prior experience and knowledge of certain military operations relating to my example here;

Recently, 2 Mirage aircraft were deployed to Abidjan to teach peace and good will to personkind. The aircraft were based in Chad (Sidebar: Chad is a United Nations success story. It is still in existence. If France ever leave the place, it becomes another "Empty Quarter" like found in Saudi Arabia. Had a colleague who was in the Legion stationed at Fort Archambault. He wanted to transfer to Algeria or French Somalia (Afars and Isacs). Chad cannot be more clearly explained than via his statement.

It won't show up on the map but a usual procedure is to establish small emergency response teams along the flight path of the aircraft. I am sure there were small FFL teams set up in Nigeria, Benin, etc (too many new name changes without pulling out the maps).

If there was ever an emergency and a Mirage crashed, Paris would not want to compromise the avionics and target acquisition instruments in the aircraft. Second, is to consider the pilot. Leaving a lot out, although those aircraft each cost more than a general hospital, the additional value of the technology is too much for Paris to risk.

Rest assured most cannot perform this hidden from public view work in isolated, dangerous settings. It will be only a few years before the dental problems occur. Later in life the rashes on the body from assignments like this are worse than just itching and bad appearance.

The above is just one example from a recent event. Hope this helps. Let me close by again wishing you and readers a Merry Christmas.

Saluations,
    BobW

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfox
    most seem to be permanently based, or garrisoned overseas.
    Let's not forget than many of these garrisons are actually low level points of conflict. Corsicans have a resistance movement complete with bombings and the like. Read Beau's post about some guy getting pistolwhipped with a 9 milli because he said he didn't like the pizza.
    Djibouti is also a point of conflict. The Issas, Afars, Somalis, Ethipians, and Eritreans all hate the hell out of each other and let each other know it. Just cause your "posted" doesn't mean life is easy or peaceful

Post Thanks / Like

In each issue of Képi Blanc magazine there is written where the Legion is deployed at the given moment. Last month apart of Djibouti and French Guiana I remember only 2 companies of 2REP were deployed in Cote d'Ivoire, all the rest in France, no other operations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi
    Unless your an historian, I wouldn't think such information is relevant to a wannabe.

If you are trying to use the French Legion's record of combat as a deciding factor on whether or not you join, I would suggest you re-think your reasons for joining.
    I do think it is, at least in part, relevant information for a wannabe to have. You should know what you will be getting yourself into. Apart from the daily routine and discipline, you should also know about the things that can get you killed. Thus also the question about unmentioned operations. The Anciens would know what kind of things you are involved in that are not in most websites.
    I don't want to suggest that you should join to see as much combat as possible but guys join the Legion to become soldiers, and it seems a waste to spend five years of your life in a garrison, doing PT and menial tasks. Of course its a part of military life, but not the only part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle eye
    the French, like most Western democracies, hesitate to use armed force, notwithstanding the recent shooting into an Ivorian crowd, for there is a fine line between using a scalpel and a sledgehammer in a civilian environment: dissuasion (being there and being seen) is a key aspect of French troop deployment including the FFL rather than outright intervention.
    And this is another basis to rethink your reasons for joining. If you really intend being an ambassador of goodwill, rather join the peace corps or something, and keep yourself fit in your time off.

BobW, thanks for your post - very instructive for a layman like me.

I wish all a great 2005

Post Thanks / Like
    Country
    New Zealand
    Redfox, the way you posistioned yourself made those particular questions come accross as if they were authored by a War Junkie Wannabe.

I am not wrong for replying with a nemesis nature.

When you look at the "Big" picture you certainly do not need to be asking for a service record of particular regiments or the French Legion itself. It is obvious that you have a good chance of seeing some type of Combat in your Five years of Service.

World Conflicts / French Interests = Combat

You do the Math Cutie
    Last edited by kiwi; 31st December 2004 at 05:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi
    When you look at the "Big" picture you certainly do not need to be asking for a service record of particular regiments or the French Legion itself. It is obvious that you have a good chance of seeing some type of Combat in your Five years of Service.
    Of course you are right; I know the questions come across as a little gung-ho. Perhaps I should explain myself a bit better. I'm not a war junkie, and I'm not intending to attempt selection. I'm a final year medical student, and intending to join the royal navy medical corps when I finish internship in two years' time'.

But I've always been interested in the Legion - as a unique military unit. So, I'm really just curious about what the Legion does. As I'm not going myself, I thought to ask the people who know.

redfox

Post Thanks / Like
    Country
    New Zealand
    Well that information puts light on new things, none the less, Good Luck in your Ventures and have a Good New Year (and all that other shit)

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment when I left Castel, 3compagnies from 2REP were in Cote d'Ivoire, and I remember one were recoled from Gabon and one from Djibouti. I'm not sure for other regiments but 1 and 2REG are on tournant in Afganistan, some of them in Kosovo.
    2 REI have the most tournants, Cote d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Guyana, and 1 REC are also always on tournant with REI or REP.

Actual or Ex Legionnaire Ralf174978's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Country
    Germany

Thumbs up

Yesterday a good friend of me (an active legionnaire) gave me the info, that the CCS (Compagnie de Commandement et des Services) of the 13th DBLE is on the way to support the rescue operations in the flood disaster region in Asia.
    LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA

Thread Information