PDA

View Full Version : Central African Republic to get more troops from France

canuckroyal
26th November 2013, 16:16
Courtesy of the CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/central-african-republic-to-get-more-troops-from-france-1.2440301

France will send 1,000 troops to Central African Republic to keep growing chaos at bay, the defence minister said Tuesday, announcing his country's second military foray into a troubled former colony this year.

The confirmation from Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian came a day after a top UN official warned of mass atrocities and possible civil war in one of the world's poorest countries, which has been in turmoil since rebel groups joined forces in March and overthrew the president.

The rebels have been accused by rights groups of committing scores of atrocities including killings, rapes and conscription of child soldiers.

"It's in collapse, and we cannot have a country fall apart like that. There is the violence, massacres and humanitarian chaos that follow a collapse," Le Drian told Europe 1 radio. "It will be a short mission to allow calm and stability to return."

Prime Minister Nicolas Tiangaye said Monday French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius told him France aimed to boost its number of soldiers in the country by 800 from about 400.

France has about 2,800 troops in Mali, an operation that began after rebels and al-Qaeda linked militants moved to take over the capital last winter, but Le Drian dismissed any comparisons between the two missions.

6 months

"In Mali there was an attack of jihadists, terrorists who wanted to transform Mali into a terrorist state. This is a collapse of a country with a potential for religious clashes," he said. "France has international responsibilities."

France will accompany an African force of troops from neighbouring countries, in a mission expected to last about six months, Le Drian said.

In a briefing Monday to the Security Council, UN Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson said that the situation in the Central African Republic was deteriorating so rapidly — with the country becoming "a breeding ground for extremists and armed groups" and never-before-seen sectarian violence between Muslims and Christians — that a UN peacekeeping force may soon be the only option.

meyer
6th December 2013, 08:32
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/france-gets-un-mandate-for-intervention-in-central-african-republic-1.1618487

Okay guys, We are looking at another French intervention in Africa. Now the French Preisident says about an estimated 1,200 French troops will be deployed in CAR to keep stability.

Anyone knows whether the foreign legion will be involved?

Joseph Cosgrove
6th December 2013, 09:09
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/france-gets-un-mandate-for-intervention-in-central-african-republic-1.1618487

Okay guys, We are looking at another French intervention in Africa. Now the French Preisident says about an estimated 1,200 French troops will be deployed in CAR to keep stability.

Anyone knows whether the foreign legion will be involved?
Meyer, there's two things to take into consideration. First of all thanks for taking the time to post this.
One If the proverbial S**t hits the fan, it pays to have your best troops on the ground.
Two Christmas is approaching, the French families (as is the same for the rest of us) want to be with their families during this time. There won't be many legionnaires' wives or mother's complaining that dad's not at home carving the Christmas turkey, Nor will there be legionnaires complaining.
One year we, 3rd Cie REP went from Tchad to RCA and of course stayed at the airport In Guitouns 56 and slept on lit picots. Ten man tents and fold away canvas beds. A great time was had by all. With a couple of run ins with the bad guys. The sections took turns in guarding the French Embassy. Plus there were roving patrols going from Embassy to Embassy, i.e. key points. I honestly can't remember what year it was and don't have my 'etat de service' here in Thailand.
Not very important but worth noting, The main boulevard in Bangui can be turned into a landing strip. The Street lamps are built so that they fold backwards and will then light up the runway.
I'm taking bets the the legion will be sent.

Martin Scott
6th December 2013, 09:16
Meyer, there's two things to take into consideration. First of all thanks for taking the time to post this.
One If the proverbial S**t hits the fan, it pays to have your best troops on the ground.
Two Christmas is approaching, the French families (as is the same for the rest of us) want to be with their families during this time. There won't be many legionnaires' wives or mother's complaining that dad's not at home carving the Christmas turkey, Nor will there be legionnaires complaining.
One year we, 3rd Cie REP went from Tchad to RCA and of course stayed at the airport In Guitouns 56 and slept on lit picots. Ten man tents and fold away canvas beds. A great time was had by all. With a couple of run ins with the bad guys. The sections took turns in guarding the French Embassy. Plus there were roving patrols going from Embassy to Embassy, i.e. key points. I honestly can't remember what year it was and don't have my 'etat de service' here in Thailand.
Not very important but worth noting, The main boulevard in Bangui can be turned into a landing strip. The Street lamps are built so that they fold backwards and will then light up the runway.
I'm taking bets the the legion will be sent.
Youd win the bet mate.

Joseph Cosgrove
6th December 2013, 09:20
Youd win the bet mate.
Martin if only we were 20, 21 in my case, again ! Alas

Stormbringer
6th December 2013, 14:33
Martin if only we were 20, 21 in my case, again ! Alas
Gosh! I was thinking absolutely the same thing. Something happened to me since I joined this forum.

canuckroyal
7th December 2013, 17:22
Here is an update for you all:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25281959

7 December 2013 Last updated at 10:51 ET
Central African Republic: French troops expand operations
French troops in the Central African Republic are expanding their operations, in an effort to restore order following sectarian fighting.
French reinforcements patrolled the capital Bangui as others entered from Cameroon, an army spokesman said.
Troops are also deploying to the north and west of the city, he added.
France is increasing its presence in the CAR to 1,600 troops to help peacekeepers deal with rising violence between Muslim and Christian militias.
The CAR has been in turmoil since Michel Djotodia ousted Francois Bozize in March and installed himself as the first Muslim leader in the Christian-majority country.
The mainly Muslim Seleka rebel coalition which brought him to power has been accused of atrocities against Christians.
Hopes on France
At the end of a summit on Africa in Paris, French President Francois Hollande called for the establishment of an African rapid deployment force within months.
Mr Hollande said Africa must ensure its own security in the future - France was ready to help with training and weapons.
Speaking alongside Mr Hollande, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said: "I'm particularly grateful to all the countries contributing soldiers to Misca [Mission in the Central African Republic] and in particular to France for boosting its military support."
The French deployment follows a UN Security Council vote authorising its troops to join Misca.
The French leader said that by the end of Saturday, a total of 1,600 troops would be on the ground, 400 more than previously announced.
"It's a number that will remain as long as necessary for this mission," Mr Hollande said.
Bangui residents are venturing out into the streets of the capital after two days of sectarian fighting that has left about 300 people dead.
French troops also deployed in the western city of Bouar, 370km (230 miles) north-west of Bangui, AFP news agency reported.
Reuters news agency quoted French army spokesman Gilles Jarron as saying: "We have also started the first missions from Bangui towards the north of the country."
The French contingent, he added, had now reached its full strength.
The BBC's Thomas Fessy in the northern town of Bossangoa - where 40,000 Christians sought refuge after raids by Muslim militia - says people there are hoping France will come to their rescue.
Thursday's violence is thought to have begun when Christian militias, loyal to ousted President Bozize, launched multiple attacks from the north - sparking retaliatory attacks from mainly Muslim armed fighters loyal to the new leadership.
Residents spoke of gun battles in their neighbourhoods and hundreds fled to the airport seeking the protection of some of the French troops based there.
The head of the Red Cross in the CAR, Pastor Antoine Mbao Bogo, said his staff had collected 281 bodies as of Friday night and expected the number to rise significantly.
Christian communities have now set up "anti-balaka" self-defence forces, most of them loyal to Mr Bozize.
"Balaka" means machete in the local Sango and Mandja languages.
The Selekas have been officially disbanded and some of them integrated into the army, but correspondents say it is often not clear who is in charge, even in the capital.

Peter Lyderik
8th December 2013, 08:24
So far no units from the Legion.

Article from: http://lignesdedefense.blogs.ouest-france.fr/archive/2013/12/07/temp-e35195058b970529ee5b8f785a236680-10812.html

Sangaris: 1200 hommes selon l'EMA, 1600 selon François Hollande (actualisé)

Au moins "cinq compagnies de combat" sont désormais présentes en RCA, avec l'arrivée ces dernières heures de 200 hommes supplémentaires, selon le porte-parole de l'état-major, le colonel Gille Jaron.

Or, lors d'une conférence presse de clôture du sommet sur la paix et la sécurité en Afrique à Paris, le président de la République a déclaré: "Jeudi soir, il y avait 600 militaires français; hier (vendredi) soir, il y en avait 1 000; et ce soir, il y en aura 1 600 et ce sera l'effectif qui demeurera autant que nécessaire pour cette mission".

Le contingent dispose aussi de quatre hélicoptères Puma et de deux Gazelle.

Ces unités comprendraient une compagnie parachutiste du 6e bataillon d’infanterie de Marine (6e Bima) arrivée de Libreville, une compagnie du 1er RCP, deux compagnies des 3e et 8e RPIMa, une du 21e RIMa.

Une colonne de l'armée française, premiers renforts terrestres de l'opération "Sangaris" en Centrafrique, a fait, ce samedi, une entrée triomphale dans la ville de Bouar, dans l'ouest du pays. Dans cette colonne en provenance du Cameroun, on trouve l'UCL du 8e RPIMa et un contingent du 1er RHP, avec 150 hommes issus du 3e escadron et d’une partie du 1er escadron. Selon l'EMA, "les moyens de combat" de cette colonne ont entamé des missions de reconnaissance vers l'Est.

Nickfury
8th December 2013, 08:53
In the NYT today:

French Troops Welcomed to Central African RepublicBy AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSEPublished: December 7, 2013http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/world/africa/french-troops-welcomed-to-central-african-republic.html?hp&_r=0

Joseph Cosgrove
8th December 2013, 09:51
So far no units from the Legion.

Article from: http://lignesdedefense.blogs.ouest-france.fr/archive/2013/12/07/temp-e35195058b970529ee5b8f785a236680-10812.html

Sangaris: 1200 hommes selon l'EMA, 1600 selon François Hollande (actualisé)

Au moins "cinq compagnies de combat" sont désormais présentes en RCA, avec l'arrivée ces dernières heures de 200 hommes supplémentaires, selon le porte-parole de l'état-major, le colonel Gille Jaron.

Or, lors d'une conférence presse de clôture du sommet sur la paix et la sécurité en Afrique à Paris, le président de la République a déclaré: "Jeudi soir, il y avait 600 militaires français; hier (vendredi) soir, il y en avait 1 000; et ce soir, il y en aura 1 600 et ce sera l'effectif qui demeurera autant que nécessaire pour cette mission".

Le contingent dispose aussi de quatre hélicoptères Puma et de deux Gazelle.

Ces unités comprendraient une compagnie parachutiste du 6e bataillon d’infanterie de Marine (6e Bima) arrivée de Libreville, une compagnie du 1er RCP, deux compagnies des 3e et 8e RPIMa, une du 21e RIMa.

Une colonne de l'armée française, premiers renforts terrestres de l'opération "Sangaris" en Centrafrique, a fait, ce samedi, une entrée triomphale dans la ville de Bouar, dans l'ouest du pays. Dans cette colonne en provenance du Cameroun, on trouve l'UCL du 8e RPIMa et un contingent du 1er RHP, avec 150 hommes issus du 3e escadron et d’une partie du 1er escadron. Selon l'EMA, "les moyens de combat" de cette colonne ont entamé des missions de reconnaissance vers l'Est.
Looks as if for the moment the legion is on standby. Certain will be chomping at the bit. It's not over yet though.
Basically the article tells of which units have been deployed and from where they have come from.

canuckroyal
8th December 2013, 19:15
Looks as if for the moment the legion is on standby. Certain will be chomping at the bit. It's not over yet though.
Basically the article tells of which units have been deployed and from where they have come from.

I find it very interesting that the French often deploy individual companies from different regiments rather than send an entire battalion or regiment... maybe someone could explain this for me?

This contrasts how the Canadian Army usually deploys and what I am familiar with as any time we deploy on Operations we will usually send an entire battlegroup whose nucleus is formed around an individual infantry battalion with enablers attached as required. We did this in both Bosnia and Afghanistan as well as smaller/shorter operations like Haiti and Somalia.

Future_Legionnaire
10th December 2013, 12:31
2ºREP and 2ºREI the have come tu RCA

Rapace
10th December 2013, 22:08
Two soldiers from 8e RPIMa (Régiment de parachutistes d'infanterie de Marine), privates first class Nicolas Vokaer (left on the picture below) and Antoine Le Quinio (right), were killed yesterday (9.Dec) in the night during a skirmish with militiamen in Bangui.

Qu'ils reposent en paix sous les ailes de St. Michel.

SLehman
11th December 2013, 00:54
May they rest in the hands of Saint Michael. God bless.

Steve

Joseph Cosgrove
11th December 2013, 04:30
I find it very interesting that the French often deploy individual companies from different regiments rather than send an entire battalion or regiment... maybe someone could explain this for me?

This contrasts how the Canadian Army usually deploys and what I am familiar with as any time we deploy on Operations we will usually send an entire battlegroup whose nucleus is formed around an individual infantry battalion with enablers attached as required. We did this in both Bosnia and Afghanistan as well as smaller/shorter operations like Haiti and Somalia.
Relevant observation. I would say that it's because it was a rush job. The companies that were sent were already in Africa on routine tours with maybe one or two companies from France sent as back up. As opposed to, say, Afghanistan where they had advance warning to organize a large deployment.

Old Adj
11th December 2013, 07:23
2ºREP and 2ºREI the have come tu RCA

Don't type things that you "have heard" from dubious sources. Verify and post your sources. There are, as yet, no FFL troops in RCA.

Peter Lyderik
11th December 2013, 07:30
Operation Sangaris on wiki in french. Still no units from the Legion in the oob.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Op%C3%A9ration_Sangaris

Rapace
11th December 2013, 19:38
Relevant observation. I would say that it's because it was a rush job. The companies that were sent were already in Africa on routine tours with maybe one or two companies from France sent as back up. As opposed to, say, Afghanistan where they had advance warning to organize a large deployment.I concur. Some of the companies dispatched to CAR came from Libreville in Gabon, where they were on short time assignment (compagnie tournante), others were on alert "Guépard".
They will certainly be relieved in the next 2 or 3 weeks by more 'consistent' units.

Joseph Cosgrove
12th December 2013, 06:06
I concur. Some of the companies dispatched to CAR came from Libreville in Gabon, where they were on short time assignment (compagnie tournante), others were on alert "Guépard".
They will certainly be relieved in the next 2 or 3 weeks by more 'consistent' units.
Nice one Rapace. Let'a hope the legionnaires get a chance. Let them know that their luc Leger and pullups and all the hard work was worth it.

Martin Scott
12th December 2013, 09:11
According to BBC News 24 the lads will be in theatre for Christmas. Don't know what units though probably 2er Rep.thats my guess and elements from 1er Rec.

Joseph Cosgrove
14th December 2013, 10:49
:cool: They have arrived! The MIGHTY REC! Martin, Stoeng, and Voltigeur will be happy :D... Well actually they arrived on Thursday but I was a bit slow on the uptake :p. (...)I just f**king knew it! Martin knew it too that's why he didn't take me up on a bet. The small detachment are known as précurseur. Advance troops, if you like. They are probably there to get a lay of the land. Believe me the Legion has its reputation in RCA. Best of luck, and to all those who are out there doing your duty, well done lads!

Sarahlouise
11th February 2014, 14:58
I understand that whoever is in charge must choose when intervention is necessary and that the chaos can take time to calm (if ever) but can anybody comment on this? I thought the airport was supposed to be the "refuge" area. Apologies for the graphic report. I do try to plead ignorant to many atrocities that happen out there but this among so many other situations are very difficult to ignore.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25946920