PDA

View Full Version : How do legionnaires get paid?

polca01
10th February 2011, 18:04
Do still legionnaires get paid half cash, and the other half in the post bank account?
And does legionnaires have a Visa card to redraw money from their bank account?
I'm asking because i saw a tv show about the FFL and some guy said that most of guys end up with nothing after the 5 years contract.
The main reason that i'm going to the FFL is for the money, and if i could have the French passport that would be great!!

voltigeur
10th February 2011, 18:21
Do still legionnaires get paid half cash, and the other half in the post bank account?
And does legionnaires have a Visa card to redraw money from their bank account?
I'm asking because i saw a tv show about the FFL and some guy said that most of guys end up with nothing after the 5 years contract.
The main reason that i'm going to the FFL is for the money, and if i could have the french passport that would be great!!

Joining for the money is in my opinion not a good idea. Generally you will spend all of your pay on "entertainment" and necessary incidental expenses. You will be able to withdraw money from your account, but I am not sure if you can use a visa card. From what I have heard it is a postal bank account.

polca01
10th February 2011, 18:24
with postal bank accounts you can have a visa card.
Actually i want to send all my money to my bank account in my home country each month.

voltigeur
10th February 2011, 18:29
There are still expenses that you need money for. If I were to take a guess, you be lucky if you can save 50% of your pay. It would take a lot of dedication. However, the first step is trying to get accepted.

polca01
10th February 2011, 18:35
I know that. i just don't want to end up with nothing. if i could send 50 % of my salary back home, i'll end up by buying 100m˛ flat in my home country.
so...
Anyway i'm gonna join just after getting a new passport from my consulate, i have to wait a couple of months since i'm a illegal in france.

Soltario
10th February 2011, 18:58
I checked this out myself when I first decided to join up
You will not be able to send any money to your home country until after 3 years when you get your old identity back and can have your own bank account.
(Don't know how it works now as I've read that you can join these days and don't have to get a new name upon joining)
But I've been told you cannot send money out of France because for some nationalities 1000euro per month is a year salary and many would just build up a bank account in their home country and then run away after 1-2 years and live like a king in their country.

flash010
10th February 2011, 19:10
i send a mandate back home every month you can do what you want with your cash its yours but if you dont have the cash to buy your toiletrys of extra kit or popote comp your fecked.
you get a post office account but are limited as to what you can draw each day when on leave i had to go to paris
to draw 8 grand all at once

Morgz
10th February 2011, 20:27
I want to go and save up for a beach hut and 3 permanent live in call girls in Indonesia (the hut the call-girls need to be from somewhere else lol.)...think I might need to save up for...uummm 2 weeks lol! WAHOO!

Kronenberg
10th February 2011, 21:36
Bring back the good old days when all your solde went on beer in the foyer and the bordel at the end of it. Putes just got docked off your wages as expenses.

Far too complicated you lot!

flash010
10th February 2011, 23:04
yea and your pay was droped in your kapi lol

homercleese
10th February 2011, 23:15
You will not be able to send any money to your home country until after 3 years when you get your old identity back and can have your own bank account.
(Don't know how it works now as I've read that you can join these days and don't have to get a new name upon joining)
But I've been told you cannot send money out of France because for some nationalities 1000euro per month is a year salary and many would just build up a bank account in their home country and then run away after 1-2 years and live like a king in their country.

Im no legionaire, but im pretty sure this is bollox- i'd say you can take your money out and send it home or to whoever u want, whenever you have access to money orders or western unions in town.

Where did the original poster see that most legionaires end up with nothing? seems a bit far fetched

psychopigeon
10th February 2011, 23:49
Why do members of the 13dble get paid more than the other regiments?

Murph
11th February 2011, 00:24
Why do members of the 13dble get paid more than the other regiments?
If you had to spend 2 years in Djibouti, you wouldn't need to ask that question.

Samtoo
11th February 2011, 04:50
Bring back the good old days when all your solde went on beer in the foyer and the bordel at the end of it. Putes just got docked off your wages as expenses.

Far too complicated you lot!

Consider as well that our pay was nowhere close to what is being paid now. We were dirt poor and only made real money in Djibouti and Tchad. We were always paid in cash, counted out in front of us and we scraped the money off the table into our kepi. It is how it was done.

Legion-eire
11th February 2011, 08:41
But I've been told you cannot send money out of France because for some nationalities 1000euro per month is a year salary and many would just build up a bank account in their home country and then run away after 1-2 years and live like a king in their country.Homercleese was spot on, this is bullsh*t. And paraphrasing some sage advice recently given on another thread, it's all well and good that wannabes chip in with advice, experience, etc from time to time, but it can be - if not exactly harmful - certainly very irritating when they post utter nonsense as fact.

With a La Banque Postale account and not yet rectified (old name reclaimed) a legionnaire can set up direct debits, standing orders, the whole works. So transferring money home every week, month, quarter, year or otherwise is NO problem whatsoever. One can obtain a VISA Electron card, which is a debit card. You can spend only what you have, no more. There are also monthly limits regarding what you can spend with your VE card (regardless of how much money is overflowing from your account) but someone with good French and keen awareness of their rights/bank policy can see a bank manager to have this limit altered. VISA Electron works on most websites too. I buy my plane tickets to Ireland using my VISA Electron every permission. However outside of France, the chances of it being refused in retail outlets/restaurants is far greater (again, no idea why but in Dublin I tend to carry cash and my Irish Maestro card).

I've lost track of how many times this topic or those similar have been tackled on here, but your money is YOUR money. Get a grip and start focusing on getting through the gates before worrying about your portfolio of off-shore bank accounts.

Soltario
11th February 2011, 18:20
I'm sorry about my ignorant post before and I thank you for correcting me Legion-eire. I talked to someone posing as a legionnaire (I now presume) that told me all the bullshit that I then crapped out of my head onto this forum. Once again I am terribly sorry about this and I've learned a valuable lesson from this mistake on my behalf.
From now on I'll make sure to double, even triple check my facts again before answering any question I think I have an answer to.

Rapace
11th February 2011, 20:15
I'm sorry about my ignorant post before and I thank you for correcting me Legion-eire. I talked to someone posing as a legionnaire (I now presume) that told me all the bullshit that I then crapped out of my head onto this forum. Once again I am terribly sorry about this and I've learned a valuable lesson from this mistake on my behalf.
From now on I'll make sure to double, even triple check my facts again before answering any question I think I have an answer to.Ok, you talked out of your ass, but that's no reason to cover your head in ashes and go on pilgrimage on your knees to Santiago de Compostela...:rolleyes: Things are changing in the Legion and what is true today wasn't a few years back (and vice versa), in particular with regards to the degree of interference they have in the way you manage your money. I got a feeling that Mrs Lebranchu's (a French MP) report about the Legion must not be totally unrelated to this recent burst of 'liberalism' in the Legion.

Samtoo
11th February 2011, 23:59
Our money was controlled by the Legion and a portion of our pay was deposited in a bank account. The books were never in our possession. If we wanted to withdraw that money there were scheduled times, but scarce, when the 'caisse' in the Bureau was open. Withdrawls of more than 500F (about $100) needed the captain's approval....obtained by scheduling a rapport. He asked why you wanted the money and assessed your need. If the Escadron was going on leave, he just gave a blanket approval up to some sum.....usually never enough. Some guys actually had to come back from PLD early because they ran out of money. My monthly pay was 707F with the rank of Legionnaire....about $140, I earned $320 a week as a civilian before enlisting in 1977. It was very easy to leave the Legion after 5 years with little savings.

eldiabloloco
14th February 2011, 11:18
Hi,

I hope you guys don't mind if I join this discussion. I know that some of you said that we, wannabes, should focus on getting accepted first. The thing is... one of the basic reasons for me to join the FFL is money which, converted into my home country currency sums A LOT. Now this money I want to send it to my family so that they can have a proper living.

This is why I need a solid information whether a legionnaire can send his money/his monthly pay to his home country or not. Does he have to wait until 2/3 years in order for the Legion to allow him to send his salary to his family in home country?

One more question for those who have been / are in the Legion, if you don't mind me asking. Do you get paid your salary during basic training and can you send it to your home country?

ok that's just a few question from me.

thank you

DZ
south-east Asia

Madmonk 7.5
14th February 2011, 16:17
Hi,

I hope you guys don't mind if I join this discussion. I know that some of you said that we, wannabes, should focus on getting accepted first. The thing is... one of the basic reasons for me to join the FFL is money which, converted into my home country currency sums A LOT. Now this money I want to send it to my family so that they can have a proper living.

This is why I need a solid information whether a legionnaire can send his money/his monthly pay to his home country or not. Does he have to wait until 2/3 years in order for the Legion to allow him to send his salary to his family in home country?

One more question for those who have been / are in the Legion, if you don't mind me asking. Do you get paid your salary during basic training and can you send it to your home country?

ok that's just a few question from me.

thank you

DZ
south-east AsiaDuring basic training you probably will not have a chance/time to send money home. Other than that, you can do whatever you want with your money.
ps. you get paid from the first day you joined.

Haforn
15th February 2011, 00:46
We were always paid in cash, counted out in front of us and we scraped the money off the table into our kepi. It is how it was done.
We were always paid in cash, counted out in front of us and we scraped the money off the table into our kepi. It is how it was done.Oh, I remember it well. In the early 70's we had a compte in our Legion name that we weren't allowed to access. The pay office did it on our behalf and paid us in cash. I always seemed to be skint but we got a wad of cash en permission and at the end. You had to stand to attention in front of (I think) the adjudant and the capitaine of the company, salute, kepi off, fait le presentation and, as Samtoo says, scrape the money into your kepi- usually (again as I recall) it was about 500 francs per month. However before you did that you has to march up to the table when your name was called and stand to attention. One Legionnaire, 2eme classe, who is not a million miles away from me at the moment, once did this when the pay was being dished out in the salle ŕ manger in Bonifacio. The floor was quite highly polished, so there was a coconut mat in front of the table upon which one stood to attention. Everyone else was in tenue de sport but as I was on guard I was in tenue de parade wearing boots (Rangers). As I came to attention the coconut mat slid from under my feet and under the table, taking me with it, saluting as I went. I brought the capitaine off his chair and sent the table, and the box containing the money and the papers, flying.
It wasn't the first time I was told "pompe jusqu'ŕ la mort!"; nor was it the last. Press ups in the old Tenue de Parade - ww2 battledress - was no joke.

eldiabloloco
16th February 2011, 10:31
During basic training you probably will not have a chance/time to send money home. Other than that, you can do whatever you want with your money.
ps. you get paid from the first day you joined.

hi Madmonk,
thank you for your answer.. just to get clear, how soon can you start to send your salary home after basic training? right away soon or you have to wait a few months until the legion makes you an account?

and can I ask you again,
is it true that you're only allowed to send your monthly salary to your home country after 2-3 years of service?

so sorry with all the question... I hope you dont mind
I appreciate your answer
thx once again...

DZ
South East Asia

John777
16th February 2011, 11:42
Your question has been answered. As soon as you can get to your bank after basic training you can start managing your account any way you see fit. Basic training is four months, Selection a month, give another month for a **** up, so probably six months would be my rough guess. And that is listening to legionnaires, so be happy, you can send your four wives your pennies.

eldiabloloco
16th February 2011, 11:53
Your question has been answered. As soon as you can get to your bank after basic training you can start managing your account any way you see fit. Basic training is four months, Selection a month, give another month for a **** up, so probably six months would be my rough guess. And that is listening to other legionnaires, so be happy, you can send your four wives your pennies.

hi John,

thank you for your answer...

Desefortunadamente
16th February 2011, 12:39
:cool:
hi John,

thank you for your answer...

You could've just used the thanks button. Just throwing it out there. :cool:

flash010
17th February 2011, 07:43
tell you one thing if your going just for the cash your gonna be sorry the amount to have to shell out in the first year will make you sick lol

SeanG
17th February 2011, 11:12
yea and your pay was droped in your képi lolHappy days lol

The main reason that i'm going to the FFL is for the money, and if i could have the French passport that would be great!!You forgot to mention the big "gun" and the uniform to make you look cool to all your mates in the pub :rolleyes: ;) :mad:

Rapace
17th February 2011, 11:28
The main reason that i'm going to the FFL is for the money, and if i could have the French passport that would be great!!You forgot to mention the big "gun" and the uniform to make you look cool to all your mates in the pub :rolleyes: ;) :mad:Well... At least the guy is honest. Not the first, not the last "engagé gamelle"...